Unfortunately, no, I could not find a fix for it.

I still suspect some kind of version conflict in the MySQL drivers,
but it's strange, because I even tried creating a new test app, and
django created the database and all the tables just fine. It's only
the admin login that seems to break it.

But in my case, I didn't/couldn't recompile the mysql client libraries
because I'm running other production applications on the same box. I
ended up redeploying the app on a different webhost (webfaction) that
specifically supports Django, and it works fine there.

Let us know if you can find a solution.