setting up django-storages was simple... using rackspace's python API
to send an image to my container... met with some troubles (broken
pipe error on code that worked).

however... on the save of my gallery application i'm creating
thumbnails. this is easy to do with my custom field... normally.
django-storages doesnt work so well with this. So i need to come up
with a work around. My first thought was to grab the image from the
CDN server, open it with PIL, crop and create the thumbnail, save it
to my server, push it to my files server then delete the files on the
working server.

this seems like a lot of processes to be running and there has got to
be a simpler way. and my idea on injecting this code would be into a
signal, pre save, assuming that the file is written to the files
server prior to the item being saved. currently i have a custom field
extending the ImageField w/ an attr_class that extends the
ImageFieldFile. I'd prefer to run everything in the attr_class if
possible and would prefer to stay away from grabbing the image from
the public url and do modify the image and create the thumbnail along
the way.

i suppose i could go the simple route and and use css to alter the
main image.