I use Textmate ($55?) for editing. Great color coding for html, ruby,
php, javascript, css, and python. :-)

I use Terminal (free) for Subversion and Git (version control). I'd
highly recommend Git. It is easier to use and les of a hassle than
Subversion.

I use Cyberduck (free) for FTP and Mac's Finder (free) for browsing directories.

It's not much of a difficulty to edit and save a file in my editor,
switch to the finder window and then drag the changed file onto
Cyberduck where it uploads it.

The Git workflow is the same, except I switch to the Terminal instead
of finder and type in a Git command instead of dragging a file to
Cyberduck.

Don't let all the version control peeps get you down. I edit files for
live sites directly on the server all the time. Dangerous? Can be.
Sure, but it really depends on what kind of site you're working on.

I think a better bridge between your current process and version
control is to have two versions of your sites hosted on your server:
one for testing/staging, and the other one for production. You can
make your edits and FTP them to your testing server, and if everything
works, you can FTP the changes to the production server.

Gets you the "testing before breaking" without having to learn a
version control system.

--
Austin