There is one thing for sure. As it stands, there is an open market for a 'do
it all' product that manages CI (continuous integration), workflow,
development, SVN etc. I think Google Apps and Cherokee came close, but I
don't much care for google apps, and cherokee has nasty performance related
bugs.

Personally, I use the following setup:
 - SVN with uSVN frontend
 - dev / staging / prod environments (I don't bother with local environments
any more), with dev.*/staging.* domains aliases.
 - Seperate databases for each environment.
 - WinSCP to sync my local dir with the remote dev.* dir.
 - All prod.* deployments are done using command line on the server to pull
the latest stable branch (with a temporary maintenance page placed up).
 - Netbeans with absolutely no IDE integration with SVN/SCP.
 - Pre-shared keys for every single shell account for added security.

However, this is for django webapp deployments. If I was going to be
building a Win32 based project, or doing game development, I would have an
entirely different development structure.

When it comes down to it, there are all these different options for a
reason, because it comes down to personal preference and experience.

My absolute best advice to you, is to try and take 2 - 4 weeks off work and
use the time to try out all these different options, because there is
nothing worse than having to maintain old projects using an
environment/infrastructure which you later find to be tedious and annoying
(trust me, we've all been there!).

Hope this helps.

Cal