On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Jason Mayfield <jwmayfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can't just copy your Python binary around (which is what you'd be doing
> if you attempt to copy the virtualenv itself) unless the systems are exactly
> the same (and even then I'd be reticent to do so).  Why not just download and
> compile Python 2.7 to the production server?  You can install that Python
> version into its own directory separate from the system Python, and then
> specify the path to that Python when creating the virtualenv on the
> production server.

To slightly elaborate on this, you have two easy options.

1. Install Python 2.7 on the server, but instead of "make install" as
the last step, type "make altinstall" instead. This will not overwrite
the existing default Python version on your system, and will install
Python 2.7 on an alternate path. You can call it explicitly by typing
'python2.7' instead of 'python,' or by using the full path.

2. Compile and install Python 2.7 in your home directory on the server
by adding a 'prefix' to the 'configure' step.

Either one will allow you to set up virtualenvs as you like.

Shawn