Thank you all.  I will digest the replies when I have the time to properly
focus back on the issue (it's obviously small, since I have a workaround in
place by shoving base.html into the project root).

It still, regardless of solutions, even in light of the words shared in this
thread (which I've only skimmed for now), makes no sense to me how it's "the
right thing" that my index.html is found but base.html cannot be found just
because it is referenced by "extend".  I will have to decide for the
time-being that there's some underlying good reason/concept that I just am
not savvy to.

You found index.html fine!  It says in it to extend "base.html"!  Find it in
the same place you found index.html!