On Friday, April 15, 2011 4:21:56 PM UTC-4, Brian Neal wrote:

> You didn't post how you loaded the template in your view function. In
> particular, what path string you used.

Ahhhhh.  The missing piece to bring order to all of this confusion on my
part.

I was using "myapp/index.html", per Tutorial 3's example.

Obviously (now), this is what was allowing my index.html to be found when
using
TEMPLATE_DIRS = ('/myproject',)

... and also what was causing the app to expect to find "base.html" in
/myproject and not /myproject/myapp

And my failure to be able to use {% extend "myapp/base.html %} with my
TEMPLATE_DIR set as above was because... I had not MOVED IT to
myapp.  Geez.

This all makes perfect sense to me now and I have it working as I wanted it
to.

Thank you all again for the help.

In any event, this isn't magic. I suggest you read this section of the