Hi,

I'm new to mail servers.  My issue is that I want to enable my
website's users to email each other directly via their personal (often
gmail) accounts.  I've have the default Email backend set up and my
settings file looks like this:

EMAIL_HOST='smtp.gmail.com'

EMAIL_HOST_USER='b...@mycompany.com'

EMAIL_HOST_PASSWORD='mypass'

EMAIL_PORT=587

When I try to send mail to a user with the send_mail() function, the
sender naturally defaults to b...@mycompany.com, even when I add a
"sender" argument to the function, such as b...@gmail.com.  HOWEVER,
when I add another user from my google apps account (i.e.
h...@mycompany.com) to that sender argument, it does send override the
default and send the mail from h...@mycompany.com.

Now, an additional wrinkle is that when I add the option "auth_user"
and "auth_password" arguments to the send_mail function (ie.
b...@gmail.com + myotherpass), it also overrides the EMAIL_HOST_USER
default.  What this is suggesting to me is that I need to pass my
gmail credentials to override the default.  That's a problem for
sending mail between users because I obviously don't have their
passwords.

I know that you can spoof FROM fields and clearly there are
webservices out there that send emails from any account to any
account, without credentials.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Ben