I'm using Django 1.0.2, with plans to upgrade to 1.2.5 at some point.

I have an application that basically just displays the results of a
database lookup as a table.  In a fit of DRY-ism, I decided it would
be cool if my application inspected the model to figure out what
columns to display; that way my template doesn't have to duplicate
what's in the model (and duplicate it in several places, which I
dislike for obvious reasons).

So I created col_list, which is passed to the template and contains
column information.  One important field is col_list.name, which is
simply name of the model field in question.

Here's what I want to do:

    {% for col in col_list %}
        ...generate header for column...
    {% endfor %}
    {% for row in database_query %}
        {% for col in col_list %}
                {{ row.{{col.col_name}} }}      <!-- OOPS -->
        {% endfor %}
    {% endfor %}

The header part works just fine.  But the "OOPS" part doesn't work,
because you can't use the result of a variable lookup as input to
another lookup.  I looked at the parsing code and the lookup code, and
achieving the effect I want seems a bit tricky, even if I were to
write a new template tags.

Am I up a creek?  Or is there some trick I'm missing here?