On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Jeff Blaine <cjbla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm kind of at the point where I consider this a bug in some fashion,
> regardless
> of my specific problem (which persists).

Well the auth application has a rather large set of tests that exercises
both creating, specifying (in the AUTHENTICATION_BACKENDS setting) and
using custom auth backends:

http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/tags/releases/1.3/django/contrib/auth/tests/auth_backends.py#L162

and using django.contrib.auth.backends.RemoteUserBackend plus custom
subclasses of it that perform assorted extra actions using the provided
hooks:

http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/tags/releases/1.3/django/contrib/auth/tests/remote_user.py

So it would be surprising if things were in such a broken state.

I'd suggest to use that code as a guidance and try to play with what you
have, drilling down until you get some change in behavior that gives
some hint of the actual problem at hand.

Some ideas:

Specify an empty AUTHENTICATION_BACKENDS setting and see if your project
fails to start both with the development server and with you Apache
setup.

Make sure the string with which your specify your custom backend in
AUTHENTICATION_BACKENDS is a valid one considering the python module
search path available under you Apache setup

Change the strategy you use to really subclass from
django.contrib.auth.backends.ModelBackend, etc.

Regards,

--
Ramiro Morales