VIM is exceptionally portable and "no-frills" for those who are used to
it. Emacs is similarly excellent for those that are accustomed to it as well.
However, you will very naturally go between many, many editors over the course
of your career. This particular persons's comment brings up the continuing VIM
and EMACS community's, in particular, love making fun of the other. That's all.

        What you use is up to what your work requires and what you enjoy. There
is no other measure of ability. It is wise to be aware of certain features such
as indentation, syntax highlighting, code completion, snippets, etc.. but you
will find them in different but usually equal measures in each application. It
is up to you to find your happy place.

-jamesr