On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM, AJ <brandmys...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to know why people really like Vim if it is "a piece of shit" ?
> Just want to know because I try to learn it everytime and I hear great
> things about it.

We're all coprophiliacs. But seriously..

One of the Pragmatic Programmer tips (buy the book if you haven't)
goes as follows:

Use a Single Editor Well
The editor should be an extension of your hand; make sure your editor
is configurable, extensible, and programmable.

vim is one of the ultimate power user editors. It basically does
everything, and it does it in a simple to understand manner. What's
more, it is fast and efficient to use; once mastered, you will be more
productive as a vim user than with most other editors.

The downside is that it is quite complex to learn. If you spend 5-6
hrs a day in your editor, then you should expect to become competent
in vim in about a month, and skilled in about a year.

vim has lots of features that require you to remember how to use them.
For instance, some people like to have tabs for their files. In vim,
you can do this easily, you ':tab new foo.html'.
You can then click on the tab to switch to that buffer. You can also,
type 'gt' to go to the next tab, or 'gT' to go to the previous tab.
Some people find things like that difficult to remember - although it
is actually easy, 'g' in vim commands means 'go', so 'gt' == 'go tab',
just like 'gg' means go to line 1, '10gg' means 'go to line 10' and
'G' means go to the last line in the file - and give up using vim.

In the office I work in, we have around 20 developers. 2 use TextPad,
the rest use vim. Most never used vim before starting here, the top
tip I can give is to print out a cheat sheet and pin it to your
monitor.

Cheers

Tom