My team has a designer (designs stuff in Photoshop), a front-end
developer who is comfortable taking designer's photoshop and
converting it to HTML/CSS/Javascript (and does a bit with django
templates), and then the back-end team (myself and co.) who put the
django behind it.   We are a very design-driven company, and that
complicates my life a bit to put the django behind it (particularly
working with forms, where the front end guys have a lot of fancy
controls and ajaxy page flows, etc., which are not uncomplicated to
implement on the backend), but the sites end up looking cool and
(eventually) working nicely and in a very user-friendly way.

But I would guess not all startup companies, and particularly web
developers who aren't working for a company, have these competencies,
in which case you may look to buy or find public domain html templates
and tweak them and put the code behind them as the previous poster
suggests.

Also, Sencha (Ext JS) is a framework that seems to be geared toward
companies/people where web developers and computer scientists who are
more comfortable with object oriented programming than html and css
have to carry the burden of making a nice front-end for their site,
since the framework manages and dynamically creates a lot of the HTML
and CSS for you and allows you to write stuff in an object-oriented
framework built on javascript.  We looked at sencha but our front-end/
HTML guy hated it so we are sticking with Jquery even though I would
probably go with sencha if i wanted a very ajaxy site but didn't have
him around to tweak all the html/css stuff.  Not sure if/how sencha
plays nicely with Django forms -- in my mind there may be some
challenges there, given the two design philosophies, where sencha
renders your forms automatically for you based on your object
definitions.

Ben