Is there a consensus in the community that GET should be used for
requests that don't write to the database? As a specific example, let's
say there's a report form that allows a user to select a start and end
date, and maybe some other search fields. What would you use for this,
and why?

I use POST for almost everything, but I admit it's mainly to avoid
super-ugly URLs full of querystring content.

Thanks,
Shawn