I'm probably not the best person to be answering this, but I do have an internal subversion repository.

If you don't have a working subversion server, follow the instructions at: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.serverconfig.httpd.html

(Since it's an internal machine, I just use basic authentication.)

To create a repository, follow the instructions at: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch05s02.html
This chapter gives some guidance on the layout or structure of the repository.

An example, that should work (going from memory):

$ svnadmin create /home/svn
$ mkdir tmpdir
$ cd tmpdir
$ mkdir myproject
$ mkdir myproject/trunk
$ mkdir myproject/branch
$ mkdir myproject/tags
$ cp /path/to/real_project/* myproject/trunk/
$ svn import . http://myserver/svn/ -m "Initial import."

Corey