If he's going to ask around for help and show code, then English is
the language of choice, for the simple reason that more developers
speak it. As his questions grow in complexity (which is to be
expected) so will the burden of having to figure out the German words.

As for the python keywords, show me a non-obscure japanese programming
language and I'll concede. There's a reason no such thing exists.

For the record, English isn't my first language either. I'm pretty
sure a lot of German companies code in English much like Brazilian
companies do.

There are numerous references online that talk about this issue, so
for the sake of everyone in the list I'll refrain from extending the
matter any further.

Sincerely,
Andre Terra

On 7/5/11, Geoff Kuenning <ge...@cs.hmc.edu> wrote:

> On Jul 5, 2:00 am, Andre Terra <andrete...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For what it's worth, it will do you good to name everything in
>> English, even if it's not your native language. Python's keywords are
>> in English (if, while, for, class, return, break...) and sticking to
>> one language makes the code easier to maintain (you might have a
>> developer on your team who doesn't speak German) and readable for
>> those of us who can only speak a language or two.
>
> I couldn't disagree more strongly.  The fact that Python's keywords
> are in English has NOTHING to do with the choice of variable names;
> you might as well argue that because APL is in love with Greek
> letters, all APL programs should be written in Greek.
>
> The argument about a non-German-speaking developer is just plain
> silly; the application is being developed by a German-speaking company
> in a German-speaking country.  If they hire a non-German-speaking
> developer, that person will necessarily learn German very fast.
>
> (Reductio ad absurdum: since every major programming language uses
> English keywords, you are fundamentally claiming that it is a mistake
> to ever write code in your native language.  You are also claiming
> that if a language with Japanese keywords ever gains prominence--and
> it's worth noting that Ruby was invented by a Japanese speaker--all
> developers must then learn Japanese before writing in that language.)

Sent from my mobile device