Thanks for sharing; in my app(which is no way to be compared with any BIG
site) i was trying to do some optimizations to make it 'fast' - just to
learn more.
I used google page-load , YSlow, and DDT to cleanup most of the expensive
sql queries and other things related to HTML.
I am not using any kind of caching for now, but when i ran ab on my app, i
see that django template rendering is pretty expensive.

Jinja2 seems to be nice and fast; but i have got a tonne of templates and do
not have the time to move them over. There is a GSoC project which, i hope,
would do some justice to this layer to make it fast.

On the DB front, i found that select_related() was a welcome boon ; which i
somehow missed. For eg, when we send a list of departments to a template and
iterate over it in the template, and the department tries to access some
other model, then 'every' access is a db call. So if you are showing 100
departments in one page - then you make 1 call to get all departments and
100calls to get each to access the object in the  'other' models(pretty
painful!)

To learn more about  DB access optimization in Django :
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/db/optimization/

Having said that, it shows clearly that if you design your app nice and
pretty, you can change anything in your server stack to make it even more
scalable and robust. I would highly recommend, concentrating on architecting
the app first and then thinking about the deployment options.

-V-