"Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]"
<cal.leem...@simplicitymedialtd.co.uk> writes:
> Came across the following blog entries today, for those interested in this
> sort of thing:
>
> http://attentionshard.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/scaling-django-to-30000-requests-per-second/
>
> http://attentionshard.wordpress.com/2011/04/03/scaling-to-30k-two-level-caches/
> Interesting approach. Although you'd have to be careful what context it was
> used in (i.e. if your code is written under the assumption that the caching
> server is atomic).
>
> http://attentionshard.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/scaling-to-30k-tsung/
> Never heard of tsung before, looks pretty nice. Will try it out for sure.
>
> http://attentionshard.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/scaling-to-30k-haproxy-on-ec2/
> Can't comment much on this, as we've never used haproxy.
>
> The stack they have used is quite interesting. Although they are using
> Apache w/ mod_wsgi (which tends to be a lot slower than using nginx with
> uwsgi), they still seem to have got some decent performance out of it.
>
> http://attentionshard.wordpress.com/2011/06/21/behind-the-scenes-using-cassandra-acunu-to-power-britains-got-talent/
> Explains a bit of their usage of using Cassandra. Would be interesting to
> see some benchmarks though.
>
> Cal

Hi Cal,

really thanks for sharing these posts!

Malcolm Box <malcolm....@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the recommendations Cal. I hope this stuff is of use to some
> people - let me know if anyone wants to know more.
>
> On 10 July 2011 21:06, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd] <
> cal.leem...@simplicitymedialtd.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Came across the following blog entries today, for those interested in this
>> sort of thing:
>>

>> http://attentionshard.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/scaling-django-to-30000-requests-per-second/
>>

>> http://attentionshard.wordpress.com/2011/04/03/scaling-to-30k-two-level-caches/
>> Interesting approach. Although you'd have to be careful what context it was
>> used in (i.e. if your code is written under the assumption that the caching
>> server is atomic).
>>

> Actually atomicity is preserved for updates, as all updates go to the L2
> cache servers (so are as atomic as memcache over multiple servers is). The
> main gotcha is that you have to be happy that different servers can have
> values that are up to N seconds out of date - but generally that's not too
> bad, as it's pretty much the same situation as using a reverse proxy cache.
>

>> http://attentionshard.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/scaling-to-30k-tsung/
>> Never heard of tsung before, looks pretty nice. Will try it out for sure.
>>

> Can't recommend Tsung highly enough. It Just Works for testing large numbers
> of concurrent connections, which is more than I can say for other tools I've
> tried (apachebench, JMeter, swarm of bees). There's several companies around
> that offer to do high load testing but last time I checked their rates were
> sky-high.

+1. Tsung was maybe the only tool fit for this kind of testing, a while
back, when I was doing some scaling tests.

>> The stack they have used is quite interesting. Although they are using
>> Apache w/ mod_wsgi (which tends to be a lot slower than using nginx with
>> uwsgi), they still seem to have got some decent performance out of it.
>

> Indeed, it's on the to-do list to try comparing the performance of
> Apache/mod_wsgi with nginx/uwsgi, but my gut feel is that the webserver +
> WSGI container makes only a marginal difference to the overall site
> performance. Of course, I Could Be Wrong.

I had exactly the same thoughts although I'm just intrested (out of
plain curiosity) in how nginx/uwsgi scales with and without the caching
framework.

It would be intresting though to see the difference between the two
stacks.