Re: Constructing / rendering a complex

Wed, 03 Aug 2011 01:26:15 -0700

Dnia 2011-08-03, śro o godzinie 10:34 +1000, Sam Walters pisze:
> Hi i dont see what is complex about this.
--8<--
> The view 'rendering' as much as possible. So i assume you would rather
> have an initial template rendered. then perhaps have views that
> deliver data via JSON or something? AJAX+JSON

No, I mean I want to have the view only prepare the data, not describe
its visual properties like col/rowspan.

> I cant see why it would be impossible to change. Use javascript to
> change the table col and rowspans. (why do visual formatting work on
> the serverside if you can do it clientside)
> at the very least you can have style="display:None" and variious other
> CSS rules to help with any dynamic changes to the table.

I'm not going into JS at all at the moment. I'd like the table to be
rendered static in the template.

> I dont quite understand this one. If you are comparing data
> server-side then submitting data via a form would be recommended.
> Where is the data being changed that requires the comparison anyway?

I mean comparing forloop.counters with column/row/header/whatnot count
and rendering differently. No forms involved here, just a dynamic
dataset.

> use multiple classes eg <td class="A B C"> jse a javascript library to
> add remove classes select child elements of the DOM im sure the
> information doesnt have to be partitioned down the a super fine level
> of granularity requiring individual id's for every element does it?

Yes I'll probably try and run with that approach, I'll prepare the whole
grid within the view, and then "merge" cells that I need spanning in the
template.

> What javascript library do you use? jquery, prototype, dojo etc all
> good options to simplify manipulation of DOM elements.

Yes, I use jQuery, but as stated before I need to create the table in
HTML without client-side tweaks.

Thanks for the comments, keep 'em coming ;)
--
Michał (Saviq) Sawicz <mic...@sawicz.net>