Databases with ordinary indexes are rather bad with finding something
nearby.

Thus some DB engines implemented rtree indexes
(Look for example at http://www.sqlite.org/rtree.html )
or similiar kind of indexes allowing to locate objects
within a certain latitude / longitude range.witt much less effort as if
you had one normal laitude index and one normal longitude index.

If you have a huge set of lcoations.
You can reduce the search effort considerable by  first limiting the
search space by identifying all objects within a certain lattude /
longitude range oand only afterwards calculating the exact distance for
the object in this 'rectanguler '  sub region.

As I'm a django newbie and as I don't know the db engines that well
I'm not sure whether your database engine supports r-indexes (or alike)
and whether there are any recommendations of how to write a django
query, such, taht it benefits from such special spactial indexes.