On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Marc Aymerich <glicer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if SSDs can speed up a DB server so much. Now a days the
> 'normal' enterprise server has 24GB of memory, so at least that your
> database is a huge one, you don't need to constantly query your disks
> anymore.

the big (BIG) difference is in commit performance.  normal DBs don't
trust RAM a bit, all commits have to hit the platter.  Of course, many
storage subsystems specify battery-backed writeback caches.

but, the disruption is not about what's possible, but how common it
becomes. small servers (and VMs) typically put the DB in single
7200rpm disks (or even worse, on RAID5) and it works OK for huge
segments; but soon it would be 'normal' to use SSDs and go from less
than 100 commits/sec to a few thousands, with no effort at all.

i do think it will have an effect on how web apps are written, and it
might shift some optimization efforts to the platform; but to go from
there to Java is a big (backwards) leap.

--
Javier