On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Alec Taylor <alec.tayl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I'm looking at all the notable CMSs and web-frameworks across any
> language (C++, Ruby, Python, Perl, .NET, PHP), for an e-commerce
> solution which suits my project.
>
> Basically I'm creating an e-commerce store of e-commerce stores. So
> for all e-commerce stores integrated with this system, there is a
> shared user database and shopping cart integrated with PayPal (but
> preferably multiple payment gateways).
>
> Would DJango be a good choice for developing this project?

If you're building a user-facing, database backed website, Django
should meet your requirements.

> i.e. are there many predone components for this kind of thing which
> can be utilised to speedup development time?

Yes, there are. If you'd like an indication of the ecosystem of apps
and plugins that are available, look at:

http://djangopackages.com/packages/p/opencomparison/

This isn't a 100% comprehensive list (i.e., it's worth doing other
searches), but it is fairly extensive.

> Also, is DJango scalable enough for a system of this sort, or should I
> pick a competitor?

The decision to use Django won't be what stops your site from scaling.
For example, Mozilla and Disqus both use Django, and their sites
handle millions of requests a day. The ability of a site to scale has
a lot more to do with database design, caching choices, and so on.
Django gives you the tools to make your site as scalable as you need.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)