I create my models in models.py, and everything looks great. I launch
the application and millions upon millions of peope start using my app
and creating their own little entries in my database, via the perfect
models.py I wrote.

But then, the EVIL CLIENT comes along and requests a change to existing
functionality that requires a change to the model...

What do I do about my millions upon millions of users, with vital, life
affirming and threatening data stored in the database? I can't change a
model and then have it change the database without destroying all their
information? Or is there some aspect of manage.py I've completely
missed?

If this is simple and I'm missing the point entirely, feel free to hit
me in the head with a brick. Softly.