On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 8:06 PM, youpsla <youp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> before getting more in depth in writing my project I ask you a general
> design question. My Django knowledge is not BIG enough for me to be
> able to have a clear answer (with for and cons) on my question.
>
> Here are the main guidelines of my project :
> - I've two kind of users : Shop owners and consumers (I've already don
> the part for consumers wich is quite simple)
> - Shop owners have to register (Simple workflow : Email send with a
> link for confirmation and activation)
> - I like shops owners to be able to:
>    - Create one ore more shops with some informations (Adress, openg/
> closing time etc ....)
>    - For each shop, they can add events
>    - Of course each shops owner can only access to shops and events
> he has created himself
>
> My question, is:
> Do you thing it's better to use and customize the admin interface or
> it's better to write all "from scratch".

Generally speaking, you're going to want to do it "from scratch".

The admin interface isn't intended to be a framework for building your
site. It's exactly what it says on the box -- an administration
interface. It presents a very low-level view of your database, which
is handy for tweaking data at a low level, but it isn't really suited
to public facing sites.

If you have requirements that involve customized workflows, or you're
expecting to customize views or structure, you're going to be better
served by building the site from scratch.

That said, Django doesn't leave you completely to your own devices.
Most websites have, at their core, lots of fairly common functionality
-- show me a list of all available X objects; show me the details for
widget 3; allow me to edit the details for widget 3, and so on.

This is where Django's generic views come in. The generic views are
pre-canned views for displaying and editing objects in common ways. If
you're looking to bang out a proof of concept, you'd be much better
suited to spending your time working out how to use generic views,
rather than trying to work out how to bend the admin to your will.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)