On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 5:00 AM, JJ Zolper <jzth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to Django! I was able to download and install: Python 2.7.2
> x86 64 on my Windows 7 64 bit machine. I think that is all that I will
> need to execute the command line?
>
> I installed Python to C:/Python27 as the program intended.
>
> I then downloaded: Django-1.3.1.tar.gz file and was try to figure
> where to go to next. I used the 7 zip to extract it to:
> Django-1.3.1.tar. But I wasn't sure the next steps. I opened the
> Python cmd prompt. I typed the command in: tar xzvf Django-*.tar.gz.
> But I got errors about the portion "xzvf" I feel that the directories
> are not set up correctly. Do I need to adjust my command for the
> directory because I already tried that.
>
> I would really appreciate a step through that would get me all set up
> with the baseline. I am interested to moving on from to the more in
> depth chapters. I tried hard to understand the input from the comments
> on the page but I was unable to find anything that gave me any sense
> of direction on how to place the Django files.
>
> Thanks!
>
> JJ
>
> PS. sorry this is available and I didn't see it in the new booklet.

tar.gz is a gzipped (.gz) tape archive (.tar) file. 7zip should be
able to gunzip it and extract the files from the archive - it might
require two steps.

The 'tar xzvf…' command is how one extracts a tar.gz under unix/linux
from the OS command line - not the python command line. As the docs
say, you can download and install bsdtar in windows, in which case the
OS command would be 'bsdtar zxvf …'.

This is the second time this week someone has had issues extracting a
tgz on windows - any chance that django could be packaged up in a more
Windows friendly zip file format in addition to tgz?

Cheers

Tom

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.3/topics/install/#installing-an-official-release