I’ve looked on this group, stackoverflow and the web at large for
indication that the django community is converging on a single REST
API package that is “preferred” and a potential candidate for
inclusion in a future django distribution.  So far all I’ve seen is
people saying positive or negative things about various packages or
the alternatives of writing yet another package or just winging it
with urlconfs and views.

It doesn’t seem to be a matter of "it depends what you want to
do" (though maybe required use or not of HTTP PUT and DELETE methods
could be a deciding factor).  I’m not an expert in REST, but the basic
requirements seem pretty clear to me – clean urls, multiple output
formats (xml, json etc.) and reliable and reasonably nonintrusive
authentication procedures – plus of course ease of implementation
including achieving wide coverage of base functionality with minimal
incremental code.

I guess what I'm asking is, what if any REST API package is emerging
as the leading solution, and if none, why not?   Thanks.