I used Tastypie for a project recently and was pretty happy with it.  I
think Piston was the preferred package before Tastypie came about, but
Piston hasn't seen as much development recently.  Then again, Piston seems
to be good enough for Bitbucket, so it's probably good enough for many
projects.

Sorry I can't offer much technical advice on this topic, as I'm no expert
on either package.  To answer your question, though: to me, Tastypie
"feels" like the preferred package currently.

Brett