Hi,

in my environment there are three stages: dev, test, prod.

Every stage has its own linux user, and all three stages can live on different
hosts.

The application is installed in $HOME of a user with this name schema:

   proj_customer_S  (S is d=dev q=qualtitytest  p=prod)

There are some custom scripts to:

 - Compare database tables and source code between dev--test and test--prod
 - Push/Pull source code from one stage to the next.

I want to get rid of these custom scripts, and use open source application.

There are some tools: For example Chef, Puppet but they are for cloud
solutions. Looks too big for me.

Fabric: could be used to implement "diff files" and "diff database-table".

How do you handle staging?
 - Deploy the source code and static files
 - diff files between stages
 - diff database tables.

  Thomas

--