*I don't know if there are any databases or webservices available for the
purpose. But how would you handle the exceptions ?! Like if it does not
exist in the db, and common names used across genders ?!*
*
*
On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Demetrio Girardi <
demetrio.gira...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not a django-specific question, but I couldn't find anything
> useful on the subject and have no better place to ask.
>
> Let's say I want to put "welcome {{user.first_name}}" on top of my
> template. In many languages, "welcome" has to be declined by gender. I
> have no use for the user's gender otherwise, so I don't want to ask
> for it in the registration process.
>
> How can I go about this? Is there a publicly available database of
> first names divided by language and gender? A public web-service that
> guesstimates the gender?

Thanks and Regards,
*Praveen Krishna R*