On 3/02/2012 7:00am, Tim wrote:
Thanks for all this great information. Thorsten, I do have hope that
'pam' will solve the problem, but if I get nowhere with that, Furbee's
links and info will help me go further; I just didn't want the user to
have to sign on twice when I don't really care about authentication,
just user identification. In any case, I'm reading those docs now, and
the blog article.

David, I wish I could do this via the LDAP set up but as far as I can
tell there isn't one.

You can.

If you accept that users will have to authenticate in your Django app then if you use ldap you won't have to worry about passwords at all. They will enter the same username and password they usually do when they power up their workstations.

I have used Peter Herndon's django-ldap-groups very successfully to do just that. It will create a new user including any ldap groups you set up for Django based entirely on successful ldap authentication. It will bring whatever ldap info across to Django that you require.

Mike

thanks again!
--Tim