This is going back a few years, so things could be a lot different
now, but here are the areas we addressed:

- Database performance. We had some Satchmo sites that would spin up
several hundred queries when rendering out a category. Cartridge goes
to great lengths to ensure this never happens. There are never any n+1
query scenarios, and we have unit tests in place that ensure this.

- Product management interface. We handed Django's admin with Satchmo
over to clients, and they just didn't get it. Neither did we at first.
In some case you had to go through a dozen or so screens to set up a
product. Cartridge has a single screen for managing a product, and it
supports 0 to N variations based on applied product options (colour,
size, anything).

- Grokking the overal system design. Satchmo is monolithic. Getting
stuck into the code base has a significant learning curve. Cartridge
is a single Django app, with one module for each of the models, views
and forms. It's relatively much easier to dive into and understand.

I feel really awkward ragging on Satchmo or any other project that has
had hundreds of hours poured into it. And back then, in the end we did
make it work for some really large clients (Toys R Us among others).
But those are the pain points we faced, and addressed directly with
Cartridge.

On the other hand Satchmo has a ridiculous amount of features that go
beyond what Cartridge has, as listed in my original email. Our
philosophy was to implement the most common features an online store
needs, in order to keep the code and design as simple as possible,
allowing it to be easily dived into in order to implement that extra
bit of customisation you might require. 75% of the features you need
up front with a day or two to add the remaning custom 25%, as opposed
to 95% of the features up front with weeks for implementing the
remaining 5%.

Cheers,
Steve