I agree with you on some of your points. Security can be improved if people
would email the support team INSTEAD OF filing a bug report (this goes for
any project), so that the teams know about security bugs before anybody
else finds them.

However, if there's a default setting or commonly set configuration choice
that may be questionable for security, the best course of action would be
to educate the Django developers and site maintainers on why it is or is
not a good idea to implement. The Rails community has mentioned the Homakov
vulnerability to the Rails team, to which their stance has been
configuration over convention (you're responsible for your own security).

If there's a similar situation with the Django code, and it's something
that's been put in intentionally by the Django team, then why not educate
people about this? Better to have a resource somewhere where at least one
Django developer on a team might have read a good security tip and share it
with his team, than to have a potential attacker figure it out and exploit
all of the Django sites that may have overlooked it. To put it in real life
terms, you don't combat identity theft by not talking about it, you combat
it by providing resources to educate the general public about how to
protect themselves.

Literally three days ago I found a potential vulnerability (a pretty stupid
one too) on a large site built on another similar platform (not Django), so
I emailed the support team and informed them of the possible security hole.
It happens, but it's better to make sure people can be educated and learn.
--
Joey "JoeLinux" Espinosa*
*

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Russell Keith-Magee <russ...@keith-magee.com