Howdy,

For the permission checking, you could override the admin template and
add auth checking in there for the various permissions you want to
check for. See:
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/ExtendingAdminTemplates for more
details on this. And in the auth documents there is info on how to
access permissions in the templates.

As for the second part, there are two possible routes off the top of my
head. Neither of which I have tried or have any idea if they will work,
maybe someone else can validate these. From experience, they both
should work.

1) Override the default change/add manipulator for the model. E.g.
Class Object(Models):
    ChangeManipulator = NewAddManipulator
Therefore you can select the fields you want and how you want them.
Including any processing of the data. I guess you could also do the
permission checking for fields here, but it might not be the best spot.

2) Create a new field in the model that replaces the integer field you
are currently using, in this new field you can override the method
get_manipulator_field_objs to return the field object you want for
this. See django.db.models.fields for the existing fields.

Hope that helps,

Chris