On 23 Mar 12:04, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Brett Parker
> <idu...@sommitrealweird.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 23 Mar 04:38, Bastien wrote:
> >> Sorry maybe my post was not very clear, I am talking about public content
> >> here, that should be accessed by anyone, even anonymous users not logged
> >> in.
> >> For instance if we talk about photos, publicly available, the url would
> >> look something like /photos/1, /photos/2 .... 1 and 2 being the pk of the
> >> object in the db. If someone wants to download or link to these photos in a
> >> totally uncontrollable way (without using an API), with that system we are
> >> making it very easy to do mass content leakage. I don't want to promote
> >> security by obscurity here, just want to know what people in the group
> >> think about it and what solutions can be implemented, or if it is relevant
> >> at all.
> >
> > Are there links on the site to those bits of content, anyways? If so,
> > then this is entirely irrelevant, as they're already entirely
> > spidarable, and there's plenty of software out there that will parse web
> > pages and download all content, and follow links, etc.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Brett Parker
> >

> You might have a page with links to '/photos/1' and '/photos/2'. You
> don't want someone to try to download all the photos by guessing that
> there may be content at '/photos/3' as well. Using non-predictable
> URIs for resources allows you to control how and when a user is linked
> to a resource.

*if* they wanted all the photos, then spidering the site isn't exactly
difficult, see wget -m. They'll end up with more than they need, but
it'll all be local, and it'd take them minutes to then just weed out the
photos - obscuring urls and using random ids just appears to be a waste
of time for public content.

--
Brett Parker