When I first dove into Django, everything was confusing. I can't say I ever
used the book because I wanted to use class-based-views immediately (was
recommended in IRC). They were confusing as could be, I constantly needed
hand-holding, etc...

Eventually, I started to understand things a bit more, was able to
comprehend and use the docs, and finally I'm at the point where I just
refer to the actual source code when I want to get something done with
them. It was a steep learning curve with the lack of good documentation on
them but I *highly* recommend using them. They will save you a lot of time
in the end. Just my 2 cents :)

If I knew of a good place to post them, I'd be happy to write up a tutorial
with some cool tricks in my free time. A wiki would be best because others
(especially those more knowledgeable than I) could also contribute.