> A plumber is mostly manual labor which will take a toll on the body over the
> years.

Programming too takes its toll on the body over time (make sure you
have a nice ergonomic setup). The relentless march of technology means
that the length of a programmers career is shorter than many jobs,
including plumbing.

> A plumber also has travel costs, fuel, cost in lost time travelling,
> covering free quotations etc.

Consultants have travel costs, fuel and lost time in travelling too.
Unless you never meet clients. Consultants have to provide free
quotations too. There are the same costs for any independent business
person.

> I've seen quite a few people making these comparisons to manual labor jobs
> and, in my opinion, they are completely irrelevant.

There are fixed and variable costs in any profession. I'm not sure of
the point of any comparison.