Did the math here and that works out to about $2700/month. I would say that would be the bare minimum considering my NOT lavish life style - family, house, car etc. Furthermore these 'charlatans' driving the price up is a GREAT thing because talent and skill is not cheap - these people know what they are worth and charge accordingly - sure some are better sales people then programmers.

Time and time again I am reminded that anyone can call themselves a web designer - but only a few can do what we can - that I am a web engineer.

Django strengths lies in customization and ability to deliver exactly when the client wants while saving us some a small amount of time on the basics, it's easy to put up a pretty $15 dollar template based static site - damn I had clients thinking they were good web designer and just wanted hosting - but not everyone can deliver exactly what is required, that does not use a purchased rigid piece of code out there, or code something innovative from scratch to solve a need.

I'll repeat *not everyone can do what we can do* so charge accordingly, be proud, confident and call your self a web engineer. If you talk big, appear big, deliver big you will attract those big projects - of course if people Google you or your business you better be on first page to justify that.

The company I work for as an employee charges $65/hour - after all expenses, down time, employee wages, not billable tasks the profit margins are not that great I recon - I would guess target being business making $20 an hour I doubt that happens often though.

Final food for thought - a plumber service here starts at $60-100 / hour.

--
Daniel Sokolowski
Web Engineer