You can change to collation of your MySQL tables by table and by
field. If you do it by table, all new fields are of that collation.
If you already have fields of a collation, you will have to change
all of them.

I used PHPMyAdmin to do it as the interface is nice and simple. You
probably will also be able to do it with the MySQL Admin tool that
they have as a download.

Corey