My bad, folks, late in the day I forgot to add the using() clause as
I'm using tiny local postgres and huge remote oracle (read mostly) and
oracle won't be default.

Foo.objects.using('svfe').all().order_by('-udate', '-time')[:5];

can I somehow configure it using the model? Something like in the
Meta: using = 'svfe' so it sticks to future queries?
I couldn't find such a possibility, only writing complicated decisions
made by a router, or do it manually as above. There's really no reason
for "using" to be dynamic in my case.