Hi, I'm sorry to see your post so late.
This page on the wiki should answer all your questions:
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/TranslateDocumentation

Differently, ask!

I can assure that translate live documentation (docs in the trunk I
mean) and keep it up to date is a real pain, I did so but it
definitively it is not the best approach if you haven't a lot of time
at your disposal. You could rather consider to stick on official
releases.

As documentation for a particular Django release is frozen once the
version has been released officially, unless some security update
forces a change to some document, I suggest you to keep translated the
last stable release (0.95, at the moment) and go for it. (more details
here: http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/documentation/ )

I think that update translations from a release to the next release
should be reasonably smooth and easy.

Paolo