You can still do self.something = foobar even if "something" is not a
database Field.

What I mean is, doing self.vdr_code = get_vdr_code() will save it for
THIS INSTANCE and then you can use it in your template.

If you really need this to be only at .save() (instead of, say, at
__init__, because it feels like once the object's been saved this
could be get in object initialization), you just have to make sure
this is the same instance you pass to the template context.

Something like:

myobject.save()
render_to_response(template, { 'object': myobject })

then in your template you can do {{ object.vdr_code }}

Although all in all, I *really* hope you have a good reason to use db
backend-specific SQL instead of making a django model of those
DirectionDescr whatever they are

---
"The whole of Japan is pure invention. There is no such country, there
are no such people" --Oscar Wilde

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
(")_(") to help him gain world domination.