I'll bet good money that one of the things you are assuming is true,
is in fact wrong.

You say that "His other requests in the same session have a user and
group". The evidence you're showing demonstrates that, for whatever
reason, in *this* request, the user *doesn't* have a group.

Unfortunately, nobody but you can determine exactly what is going on.
It's time to spend some quality time with your debugging tools.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)