As a general remark related to the issues that JJ has described... are
there perhaps - or rather, should there be - pointers from the Django site
that discuss some good practices to the overall approach of designing and
building sites/projects/apps/databases - as opposed to the technical
nitty-gritty of mode/view/form construction?

It seems there are an increasing number of "newbies" flocking to Django,
with perhaps little or no background in CS fundamentals, and guidelines
like these would be a good place to point them at!