On 10-8-2012 17:23, Paul Backhouse wrote:

> Has this already been done? Does my google-fu escape me? If it hasn't
> already been done, why not? And are there any modules out there that can
> be dropped in to speed development? Any tips on developing this app?

An email gateway is what exposed contrib.auth's problems to me, because
it has the email stored on the user account info, you can only match one
email per user. In a world where people use several accounts or server
addresses with 'subdomains', having only one registered address per
account isn't practical. Also, match a user based on SMTP headers is not
very secure.

Another approach that you can observe in the wild is to have 'secret
email addresses'. In the user account information an email address at
the site's domain is made available that the user can send comments or
content to. The drawback here is that it's very sensitive to identity
theft as the assumption is made that only that user knows that address.

So very quickly, you come into the dark realm of requiring some kind of
authentication key associated with the email message and while for us
techies this is trivial, explaining that to casual internet users has
been a problem since the inception of S-MIME and PGP.

I imagine most projects that have attempted this principle strand on
this issue and the associated spam nightmare.

--
Melvyn Sopacua