I'm new at Django, renewing the start I made some two years ago by
following the tutorial.
And I'm aware there are some problems with my python, which I'm trying to
solve as well.
And I didn't find the answer to my question in djangoproject, this group or
any other group.

I'm in Chapter 5 of the tutorial, configuring the database.
I think I've done everything correct to set the DATABASE_ENGINE =
'sqlite3'.
Then I check the settings and see an error:
bobaalsma$ python ./manage.py shell
Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Jun 16 2011, 16:59:05)
[GCC 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2335.15.00)] on
darwin
(InteractiveConsole)
>>> from django.db import connection
>>> cursor = connection.cursor()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
  File
"/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/dummy/base.py", line
15, in complain
    raise ImproperlyConfigured("settings.DATABASES is improperly
configured. "
ImproperlyConfigured: settings.DATABASES is improperly configured. Please
supply the ENGINE value. Check settings documentation for more details.

Also:
>>> from django.conf import settings
>>> settings.DATABASES
{'default': {'ENGINE': 'django.db.backends.dummy', 'TEST_MIRROR': None,
'NAME': '', 'TEST_CHARSET': None, 'TIME_ZONE': 'America/Chicago',
'TEST_COLLATION': None, 'PORT': '', 'HOST': '', 'USER': '', 'TEST_NAME':
None, 'PASSWORD': '', 'OPTIONS': {}}}

I think these answers are valid only IF Django would look at
/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/django/conf/project_template/project_name/settings.py,

which is NOT the settings.py of my project.
For some peculiar reason a new settings.pyc is created in the expected
settinngs location within the project environment.

Questions:

   - how to point Django to the correct settings file?
   - what other variables will likely be affected in this situation?