I have little experience with Django/Python but have a problem that I need
to solve.

Currently I have a button action that allows users of a website to download
files from a displayed list. I want to add a button to allow users to
delete the files if required.

The current download button is set up as follows on the page itself:
<a id="download" href="/portal/files/{{ file.id
}}/?action=download">Download</a>

And as far as I can see there is a file called views.py which contains code
as follows:
@login_required(login_url='/portal/login/', redirect_field_name=None)
def file_view(request, id, template_name='portal/file_view.html'):
    try:
        f = File.objects.get(pk=id)
    except File.DoesNotExist:
        raise Http404

    if request.user not in f.recipients.all() and request.user != f.owner:
        return HttpResponseForbidden()

    if request.GET.has_key('action') and request.GET['action'] ==
'download':

        filename = f.file_obj.name.rsplit('/', 1)[1]

        response = HttpResponse()
        response['Content-Disposition'] = 'attachment; filename=%s' %
filename
        response['Content-Length']      = ''
        response['X-Accel-Redirect']    = '/%s' % f.file_obj.name

        return response

    return render_to_response(template_name, {
        'file': f
    }, context_instance=RequestContext(request))

Can somebody please help me to create an action to delete files?

Thanks