… and, you can also see on that ticket that the chance of this getting
into Django itself is *very low*.

Django is, by design, a server side framework. AJAX is a primarily
client-side concern, with some light server-side data requirements.
There's absolutely no need for this to be tightly bound to Django's
core. If you want a more detailed explanation of why, I've spoken on
the topic at several conferences; most recently at PyCon AU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFh40R5KcV8

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)