On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Dirley <dirley...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've recently discovered this issue with my django based application.
>
> When a users changes its password, its active sessions are not destroyed.
> I mean, if a user is logged in two different places (or in two different
> browsers) and changes its password on one place, the other session will still
> be active.
>
> I think this is an issue. If a user thinks his password has been stolen,
> he'll naturally change his password in the hope that this action will revoke
> the robber's undue access to his account. It's kinda "expected" that after a
> password change, everyone with your old password will not be allowed to login.
>
> But as far as I can tell, this has been the default behaviour for a long time
> and no one ever bothered. So, am I missing something? Maybe my specific
> setup (I changed my auth backend a little bit) is problematic?
>
> - D

Sessions aren't tied to specific users, and so cannot easily be
invalidated like that. Personally, I wouldn't have the expectation
that changing my password would invalidate all my other sessions, but
perhaps a lay user would.

It is simple to add some middleware to ensure that sessions are linked
to user objects, and then you can insert any business logic you need
to take the appropriate action, eg to logout other sessions on a
password change.

Cheers

Tom