On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 12:34 +0000, mikeb wrote:
> Has anyone gotten Squid and Django to play nice?

Are you just using squid as an intermediate proxy between you and a
webserver hosting a Django app somewhere, or doing something more
complex? I'm happily accessing Django sites through a squid proxy with
nary a problem.

>   When I hit Squid on
> 3128 I get the dreaded:
>
> The following error was encountered:
>
>     * Invalid Request
>
> Some aspect of the HTTP Request is invalid. Possible problems:
>
>     * Missing or unknown request method
>     * Missing URL
>     * Missing HTTP Identifier (HTTP/1.0)
>     * Request is too large
>     * Content-Length missing for POST or PUT requests
>     * Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed
>
> All i'm doing is requesting a gif.  Is Django not serving something
> correctly?  Do I need to write some middleware to this up?

I would start diagnosing this by removing the squid proxy and looking at
the raw data you are getting back. Use a tool like curl or wget to
display the headers and all the data and check for things like an
incorrect MIME type or corrupted headers of some sort. Debugging this
sort of thing can take some time and a fine-toothed comb (and lots of
attention to detail), but it's likely you will be able to detect the
problem without Squid in the way: after all, it's just HTTP and bits on
the wire.

Regards,
Malcolm