On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 10:23 PM, Roarster <ianstrachan2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running a Django 1.4 site and I have some operations I want to perform
> if a user changes their password.  I'm using the standard contrib.auth user
> accounts with the normal password_change view and I'm not sure if I should
> somehow hook into this view or if I should use a signal on post_save for the
> user.  If I do use the signal, is it possible to tell when the password has
> been changed?  I do feel that if I can use a signal this might be the best
> approach since it would handle any other password change mechanisms that I
> might add later without any extra work.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to do this?

The password_change view takes additional arguments, one of which is
'password_change_form'. The form is responsible for changing the users
password, and by default is django.contrib.auth.forms.SetPasswordForm
(see docs):

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.4/topics/auth/#django.contrib.auth.views.password_change

The form itself is responsible for changing the users password, so by
extending that class and specifying that class to be used, you can
hook directly in to the derived class's save() method and perform
whatever actions you need to when the password is changed.

Cheers

Tom